The Talented Kid and his Enemies
The book draws on the insights of some of the world’s leading experts on learning and schools.
The Ten Big Taboos About Schools:
- The talent annihilation industry, or why we can no longer afford the systematic destruction of our kids’ talents in school.
- Gifted kids as haz-mat incidents, or why schools do their best to transform talented sprinters into lousy marathoners.
- A simple truth, or why the best schools in the world cost no more than the worst ones.
- The dictates of mediocrity, or why schools force out the best teachers instead of promoting them.
- The dark side of powerlessness, or how much young people can take in the way of being rejected and misjudged.
- The ill-bred generation, or why more and more parents blame schools for their own failures.
- The black hole, or where the talents of many young people disappear along the road to adulthood.
- The principle of taking responsibility, or how parents can really nurture their kids’ talents.
- School as boot camp, or the hard road to raising oneself.
- The enemy within, or what Harry Potter has to say to the friends of the talented kid.
The school of the future, or why the wheel has long since been invented.
The talented kid’s best friend. Examples of schools that are doing their best to get it right.